Monday, January 4, 2010

Church & Technology

Technolgy is a value nuteral for those who are in the thirld world country like Ethiopia, where people hardly use techonolgy, not because they think that technology is evil, but because they don't have the access. I believe from experience that techonology is a core for preaching and mission for develped contries. If we want to reach out specially younger generations today, we must be able to use technology, since younger generation not only use technology, but I say addicted to it and spent more time on techonlogy, I believe that is the only way we are able to preach and reach out to younger generations today. Like I said this might be different when it comes to developing contries.

"The world is now governed and shaped by techonolgy" and the church is part of the world too. So, I belive that inorder to communicate the goodnews to the world we need to use the context the chruch is planted in. So, I believe that technology is good for the church to use inorder to be effective.

4 comments:

  1. Meheret, thanks for sharing your experiences with technology in Ethiopia! It's certainly something to think about. Even though technology is not used very often in Ethiopia, I would propose that it is still not "value-neutral" there. When it is used, no matter how rarely it is used, it has the power to do both good and bad things. The fact that it is used so seldom also probably means that people ARE hesitant to use it, or unsure of how to use it, or what to use it for. I don't think that technology is value-neutral, regardless of where it is used. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you put this into perspective. Technology is like an addictive drug in this country, but we have to remember that it is not that way everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you point out something very useful and important here, Meheret. Technology is useful, and it is in some cases, like the "addicted to technology" ones, for whom it is a vital key to communication.

    I think it is important to figure out how best to employ it and use it carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Meheret. I think you're right about the younger generation (me included) being addicted to technology. I want to echo Caitlin in saying that even if it's not used at all, technology perhaps still has some value. I wonder, though, if that value may come in the form of simply existing in a world that does rely so heavily on it.

    I'm still hesitant to make any sort of judgment on whether technology is a good or bad thing, but I also can't place the value entirely on the people using it, either. People with good intentions can receive bad information through technology and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete